Picture Perfect Wildernest Virdi
Did anyone say that you need to travel to the end of the world for some quality time with nature in its pristine form? Ironically, it is not too far away from the surf and sand of Goa that there lies an opportunity of a life time – Wildernest Virdi, where you can revel in the wonder that nature is!
As dawn makes way for day, sunlight filters through the dense tree canopy to the sleepy village of Virdi in the valley below, mist clears the sprawling landscape and the forest comes alive with the incessant chatter of the Hanuman Langurs and the mellifluous notes of the Malabar Whistling Thrush.
The transformation of the silhouetted land into a carpet of greens, the sight of vast stretches of undulating rugged lush green terrain and the soft rustle of leaves amidst an occasional alarm call from a male Sambhar far away; all these announce the vibrancy of a paradise – a paradise which is a mere one and a half hours away from the hub and din of urban Goa and yet very close to utilities that have become an integral part of modern living.
At the paradise that is Wildernest, you will get used to waking up to the sounds of melodious bird songs, and vibrant nature’s sights every morning, right into breathtakingly beautiful sunsets complete with the mystic wonders of nature. In short, Wildernest is for those who want to experience peace, tranquility, joy and comfort in the lap of nature.
Eco-tourism at its best – Wildernest, Virdi
Wildernest is the first eco-tel in the region with 18 specially designed eco-huts that put you in close proximity with nature and its wonders while still offering the comfort and hospitality of the highest eco-tel standards. Wildernest is all about experiencing nature in all its vivacity and vitality.
The discerningly conceptualized eco cottages that open out to be the magnificent 143-meter Vazra falls on one side and the back waters of the Anjunem reservoir on the other, one can literally immerse oneself in nature’s spiritual domain from the privacy of your cottage without having to compromise on experiencing unspoiled nature.
Wildernest’s Easy Commutability – You Will Want to Come Back for More!
Located on the Goa-Karnataka border, amidst picturesque settings and serene surroundings at a height of 800 mts above sea level, the drive to Wildernest is a treat in itself for the fatigued urban traveller. Overlooking the Swapnagandha valley, the resort also offers a panoramic view of entire Goa.
Get a Taste of the Local Flavors at Wildernest
Our restaurant offers local cuisine cooked in traditional chullhas, to provide that extra flavour of being one with nature. Cloud 9 – our garden bar is a blend of old world charm and trendy flavors. Chill out at Cloud 9, with its mystic surroundings and let our local barman entertain you with jungle lore and folk art. We also have specialized menus for varied cuisines so as to suit the international traveler.
Randhan – our local restaurant is a systematic blend of the functional styles of the natives of the Ghats and the plains. Serving ethnic traditional food by buffet only, our chief cook manages Randhan as his own, with special recipes from the Ghats laid out for you to choose from; each dish is explained by our friendly chef, and don’t miss the inscription that accompanies every dish, complete with recipes!
State of the Art Spa Treatments to Rejuvenate You!
Retreat into our cascading swimming pool and get lost in the beauty of the lush green valley on the horizon for a change!
It is here that flowing cascades and nature therapy pamper you and help us realize the bonds we share with nature in its most magical form. By fusing the elements of natural space and aesthetic eco-friendly architecture, we have created activity areas that will help you surrender to the possibilities of nature, its subtle surprises, vibrant forms and mystic charm.
Come Face to Face with Varied Flora and Fauna Here
Go for sit outs beside the few remaining waterholes and hides, the summers are an opportunity to catch a glimpse of elusive mammals, for the lucky few. Alternatively, get into action for conservation along with our resident herpetologist as he studies our forests, spend some time at our bonfire with local roots and vegetables being toasted to taste and savour while the moonlit sky gives you company.
With over 140 species of birds, some like the nilgiri wood pigeon and the small sunbird considered endemic to the Western Ghats, wildernest is a birdwatcher’s paradise. It offers ample opportunity to the ardent birdwatcher, for viewing avian fauna, typical to the Western Ghats.
Wildernest also boasts of a varied species of medicinal plants and shrubs which host an even more bewildering diversity of butterflies and months like the Southern Birdwing, the Blue Mormon, the Lunar Moth and Atlas Moth.
This is a birders paradise as the area is the nesting ground of the endangered Long Billed Vulture and the rare Sri Lanka Frogmouth. The region has declared as an Important Bird Area by Birdlife International and sightings are abundant thanks to the undisturbed vegetation and foliage.
By air: Airport at 73 Kms from Resort (2 hrs Drive By Road From Airport)
By road: 65 kms (1 hour 15 minutes) from Panjim and 60 kms (2 hours) from Belgaum and about 80 kms from Dandeli.
Activities for One and All at Wildernest
- Being in the realm of Western Ghats’ forests, our trained nature guides invite you to join them on nature treks, bird watching trips, and folk performances and a host of other activities.
- For those who have the desire to simply relax and retreat in the company of nature, our specially designed hideaways and ‘machans’ offer you the very essence of living in the realm of nature of experiencing peace and solitude.
- At Wildernest, Virdi one can enjoy the mystifying surroundings with family and friends over a bonfire, practice yoga at breathtaking locations or watch a wildlife film under the moonlit sky.
- And for those who prefer to mix business and pleasure, Wildernest offers a unique blend of fully equipped Board Room and a host of adventure and team building activities. Ideal for groups of 12-16 individuals, this is one resort that has the potential to brainstorm amidst virgin settings as well as get feel of the magical quality of the locale.
Coupled with local folk dances, star gazing sessions and various activities, Wildernest also offers tailor made nature trails and adventure activities that offer a glimpse of the natural and cultural treasures of this part of the Western Ghats.
You Name It – Wildernest Has It!
Adopt the myriad moods of nature fused with culture on a special evening as local artisans perform with dedication and honor at activity centers. Understand the legends and myths along with the notes that go with them from our naturalists and enjoy the pleasant tryst with these art forms that are dwindling with time.
Come to this land to see the celestial painting of sunrise or to walk amidst the clouds at sun down. Have a date with a zillion stars as company and unwind to the fragrance of medicinal plants of the Western Ghats. Or better still do nothing and escape into the time frame of oneness and tranquil enchantment.
What You can Expect
- Time-honored welcome drink
- Accommodation in eco cottages
- Well-stocked Bar
- Restaurant serving Coastal Cuisine (A mix of Maharashtra, Karnataka and Goan Cusine from neighboring villages)
- Trekking to the Waterfall
- Walk to the highest Point
- Evening Entertainment (Folk Dances)
- Wildlife Films
- All Meals (Both Veg and Non-Veg)
- Buffet Break-fast
- Buffet Lunch
- Evening Tea
- Buffet Dinner
- Treks to various spots on the property, etc
- Trekking to the Highest/Sunset Point
- Forest Walk
- Bird Watching Trail (Early morning Activity)
- Slide-show on Wildlife and Bio-Diversity
- Heena & Mehandi session for Ladies
- Coracle Ride (Oct to Jan)
- Tradiational Folk dance & music by local villagers / Bonfire
- Eco-huts with king sized bed, wardrobe, well connected phone and internal systems, and a spacious bathroom and toilet.